Skip to content ↓

A-Level Media Studies

 

You have not allowed cookies and this content may contain cookies.

If you would like to view this content please

 

Exam Board: Eduqas

Entry Requirements: Grade 5 or above in English Language or English Literature.

Why study Media? The Media is studying you - shouldn’t you study it, too? It’s the 21st century and our exposure to the Media has exploded! We now engage with multiple forms of media throughout almost every aspect of our daily lives; this includes traditional platforms such as television and print, interactive online games, apps and social media communities. Studying the Media is eye opening, interesting and creative, and helps young people to understand their place in the rapidly changing world of communication and technology. Plus- it’s fun!

What does the course involve?

The A level qualification covers the theoretical framework of: Media Language, Representation, Media Industries, Audiences and Media Contexts. You will explore Advertising and Marketing, Film Promotion, Newspapers, Television in the Global Age, Magazines, Radio, Music Videos, Mainstream and Alternative media, and Media in the Online Age. There are 2 written examinations worth 70% of the course. The remaining 30% is assessed by a creative piece of coursework. You will create 2 original media products from a choice of TV, Magazine, Film, or Music Video briefs. This is a very challenging and very enjoyable part of the course that involves an intensively creative process.

Where will Media Studies lead me post Sixth Form?

Media Studies is a strong foundation for moving on to studying Film or Media in higher education and the world of work. It provides understanding and skills that can be applied to photography, journalism, advertising, marketing, business management, film, TV, radio and a whole host of creative, vocational and academic avenues of life.

For more information: Please contact Mrs Stone: rebecca.stone@sirthomasfremantle.org